he taught me a valuable lesson....






Happy Hump Day...wow it seems like this week just barely began and here we are mid way through it....same as the years...I sit and reflect a lot about my life and it seems that there are big holes, am I really 51 years old, is my child really a mommy? Where did the years go? I only hope that there is at least 1 person in those lost years that can hear my name and say "she is a good person", "she was kind to me in my time of need" "she is a real friend" She helped me when no one else would" I do sit and wonder sometimes if I am doing enough, if I do make a difference in someone's life, if God is pleased with the person I am. 

In prayer this morning I lifted special prayer for my Aunt Gwen who will be flying to Arizona to most probably see her son for the last time, we have talked and she is very positive and upbeat, she is not letting this drag her down, she is a very strong lady, I think I did not realize how strong until this last week. Please think of her in your prayers that she feel God's presence in each step that she takes and that she feel his guiding hand upon her. I also prayed for each of you asking God to feel and see your need and to make provision for you. Father God there are so many wrapped in fear this morning, so many wondering how they will pay that bill, how they will make it until pay day, how they will fee their kids...so many are in relationships that are not good, so many being abused physically, emotionally, and spiritually. So many feeling neglected, lost, and alone. I ask you Father today, in this very hours to comfort them, allow them peace and a flooding sense of "it is going to be alright" allow them to feel your presence right now Father so that they have hope of a new day and a new way. In the name of Jesus Christ I ask for mercy, grace, favor and abundant blessings. Amen

I came across this little writing this morning and thought it went so well with so many of our lives...its the little things in life that matter the most and the little kindnesses make a world of difference.....

A 15 Year Blessing From A Homeless Person

--posted by Blessed66 on Apr 30, 2010

This is a story that happened 15 years ago but it has always stayed with me since then.

On the way back from work every evening, more often than not there would be a homeless man standing at the exit of the freeway.  He looked to be in his late 40's but was probably a lot younger. He had shoulder length straight black hair a short beard, and he was of average stature.

His eyes were what struck me the most about him, they were brown and they had a sparkle. Like an inside light that was beaming out of his eyes.  His eyes, I thought, represented the man in general. People say they can tell a lot from a person’s eyes. It was certainly true in his case.  He always waved at every car, he was always happy and smiling and sometimes almost dancing. 

 Every day after work I would remember to gather any spare change, and put it aside to give to him if I saw him. A feeling of joy would come over me every time I saw him, as I came off the ramp.  He had that effect.

I’d quickly roll down my window and give him the coins. Occasionally the red light would be on for a minute and we would ask each other about our day. His answer would always be the same, “I’m blessed!”.

I knew what his answer was going to be every time, yet I would still ask. It amazed me that even in his situation of being homeless he was so positive, and his answer would remind me of how blessed I was. A single mother of four amazing kids, with a place to call home and with a job to provide for my kids.

Then one day I was called into my boss’s office and was told that I was being laid off due to the economy.  A feeling of worry engulfed me, and for the rest of that day all I could think of was “how am I going to provide for my kids, how am I going to pay rent, what am I going to do?”

Needless to say that on my way home that day I was very sad and upset. I didn’t remember to look for my spare change and keep it ready like I usually did.  I wasn’t feeling the joy as I got off the ramp where the homeless man would be. Yet there he was as always, as I turned the ramp.  He set his eyes on me, while still smiling and waving at others.

I’d hoped to catch the green light, but I missed it. While I was waiting for the red light to turn, he strolled over to my car.  He had a big smile he looked me straight in the eyes and said “today I will give you a dollar”.  He then reached into his pocket and pulled out a dollar bill.  I was blown away.  I burst into tears. I wanted to jump out of my car and hug him!

You see that day he gave me more than a dollar bill, he taught me a valuable lesson. No matter what material things are taken from you, no one can take away your choice to be joyful. My ride home was smooth sailing, I had lost my job, had no savings, but I knew I was blessed!

Every time I’m faced with challenges, I think of the homeless man’s valuable lesson and remember that I am blessed.

No comments: