What makes you proud to be an American???






What makes you proud to be an American??? As I sat and really pondered on this today I would have to say I am proud to be an American because of our freedoms, our abilities to spread our wings and to bring to fruition our hearts desires, I will admit that the America I was born in to is much different than the America I live in today, that being said I still stand on the preface "one nation under GOD" I still believe in "United we Stand" I still believe that this is the greatest country of all countries and I am honored to be called American. I am proud of my father who served in the United States Navy during World War 11, my little brother who served in the Marine Corp in the middle east, my friend Taylor who gave years of service to the United States Army and all of the men and women who lay down their lives and do what is needed in order to keep us with safety and liberty. I am also very proud of my uncle Pat Helton, who gives hours and hours of selfless service to those who have been wounded in service. Pat was in the Vietnam War, and has dedicated much of his time and effort and giving back to those who have lost so much in the wars...Pat is the director of Rods For Soldiers of the Texas Rod Builders, a club organized in 2008 to build and donate custom rods to wounded or decorated soldiers, police officers, and firemen. The mission of Rods for Soldiers is to honor and show gratitude to veterans returning from battle, by providing a potential physical and mental therapeutic outlet for stress, and to learn and participate in the time honored craft of fishing. The purpose of Rod Builders is to give back to our veterans by providing each member the necessary materials to pursue this; as well as to offer opportunities for friendship, comaraderie and the potential to improve familial bonds by giving soldiers resources to share common interest, hobbies, and goals in a low stress environment through fishing. 
Unfortunately my Uncle now is getting pushed out by the bigger fish....if you know him, give him a hearty pat on the back for all the good that he does, if you do not know him and are in Brazoria County give him a shout out, if you would like to donate to this wonderful cause I am sure it would be much appreciated,  if you are a fisherman get in touch with him and see if he might have time to make a custom rod for you...they are amazing....hint, hint Uncle Pat, I would love to have one with my blog name and a cross on it...maybe I could catch some fish then...LOL

I felt so humbled to read this article that I came across on the internet. My Uncle is a "wow" kinda man, I knew that he was involved in this organization but did not know how passionate he is. I have seen rods from time to time in my life that he has built and could not imagine the time and skill it takes to produce just one...what a God given talent...what a wonderfully blessed God given talent. I can see Uncle Pat building these with love and compassion in each turn, with heart felt  thanks in every move he makes in the building. 



THE CAPITAL-JOURNAL
The men and women who have served or are serving in our country’s armed forces have the gratitude of our nation for the job they do and the freedom they protect. Many give of themselves and are proud of a job well done.
Unfortunately, some make the ultimate sacrifice for their country and are killed or wounded. The road to recovery is difficult but there are some outdoorsmen and women who are making an attempt to help them along the way and thank them for their service to our country.
“The Rods for Soldiers Program started about three years ago,” said Pat Helton, 63, of the Gulf Coast city of West Columbia, Texas, who has been building custom fishing rods for three decades and is the director of the program as a member of the Texas Rod Builders. “The first year we gave away about 35 rods.”
The idea stemmed from a request that Helton’s club got to build a custom fishing rod for a wounded soldier.
“It was a collaboration of several rod builders that built that rod,” Helton said. “And I thought, ‘This is a good idea so let’s keep this thing going,’ and I jumped on it.”
Helton is a Vietnam veteran. He says when he got back after serving his country he and other soldiers were met by protesters.
“I never felt really proud of my Vietnam service until 30 years later,” Helton says. “I swore I would do everything I could so that our heroes get a ‘thank you’ when they get home and that’s what this program does.”
The selection criteria for the recipient of a rod covers many branches of armed forces and even public service protection.
“A wounded soldier, or decorated soldier, and it doesn’t matter if you were wounded in Afghanistan, Vietnam or World War II, if you’re a Purple Heart Veteran you get a rod,” Helton said. “And we also do rods for firemen and police officers wounded, too.
“We’re not strictly rods for soldiers, but that’s our main purpose,” he said.
Since those first nearly three dozen rods were built the initial year, the program has grown dramatically. Interest has skyrocketed, both from rod builders around the country interested in helping and awareness concerning the program.
“I’ve had some rods built by some of the best in the world,” Helton said. “I’ve got 12 rods sitting here from B.D. Ehler and he’s a legend in rod building.”
Ehler, who lives on Pomona Reservoir with his wife, Mary, is more than happy to share his skills for this wonderful cause.
“Pat Helton is the front man for Rods for Soldiers,” Ehler said. “Along with co-founders Terry Jones, Doug Moore and Jim Leuck and wonderful contributors like Silvia Davis, Randy Search, and countless others, they have managed to turn the program into something that’s nothing less than truly phenomenal.
“The support has been overwhelming as rod builders from all over America have stepped up to honor our country’s servicemen and women.”
Helton has been to the west coast and set up a booth at the West Coast Custom Rod and Tackle Show.
“I met all the legends of rod building and that really gave us a big boost,” Helton said. “I’m going back out to the west coast in August and deliver 12 rods for wounded soldiers at the Oregon Tuna Classic and 20 rods for wounded soldiers at the Washington Tuna Classic.”
This year the Rods for Soldiers program will distribute about 150 fly rods, spinning rods and other custom-made rods to wounded soldiers.
“I’ve collected rods from Arkansas, Florida, California, Kansas, Wisconsin, Michigan and all over,” Helton said.
Helton and others in his group work to raise money for their supplies and components of the custom rods.
“If a rod builder needs the components to build these rods, they just contact me and I send them all the components and they build it and send it back,” Helton said. “And there are some rod builders that pay for everything themselves and send me the rods. There are some great people in this world.”
Helton and other supporters recently raised more than $2,000 by selling raffle tickets for a chance at winning two custom rods made by some of the finest rod builders in the country.
“The gentleman that won them turned right around and gave them right back and told us to give them to a couple of soldiers,” he said.
If it’s possible, Helton or one of the other club members will present the rods to soldiers personally.
“I went to Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio last Christmas and I took 21 rods,” Helton said. “They went to heroic young men recovering from their wounds who made some pretty big sacrifices.”
The soldiers are extremely appreciative. Helton says some of them can’t believe that someone cares enough to give them anything, much less a custom fishing rod.
“To a man, they’re very excited and ready to go out and try their new rod,” Helton said.
And Helton is working on another request he recently received.
“I got a call from a lady whose son was killed in Afghanistan in December and she said her husband was devastated,” Helton said. “I’m going to build a rod for him and put the Marine logo on it and ‘In Loving Memory’ and her son’s name and present it to his dad.”
Helton had an experience last week that symbolized the true character of the Rods for Soldiers Program and giving something to someone who has sacrificed for their country.
“I was at the Houston fishing show last week trying to raise some money so we can buy more supplies,” Helton said. “A gentleman about my age came through and was wearing a hat that said, ‘Purple Heart Veteran’ on it.”
The man was using a cane and had his family with him.
“I said, ‘You must have been wounded in Vietnam’ and he said, ‘Yes, I was,’ ” Helton said. Helton had a rod rack of custom rods they typically distribute to wounded soldiers. He led the Vietnam vet over to the rack and told him to pick one out. The man said he couldn’t afford a rod like that.
“I told him he’d already paid for it,” Helton said.
“Paid for it?” the man questioned. “I haven’t paid for it.”
“I told him, ‘When you won that Purple Heart in Vietnam you paid for it,’ ” Helton said. “We were just 35 years too late getting it to you.”


No comments: