Thanking God for my Mom's sisters!!!!




Have you ever taken the time just to honor someone? Not because it was their birthday, not because it was any special day at all, just because?
Today I would like to take the time to honor my aunts...My mom comes from a family of girls, 6 to be exact...my grandpa's CB handle was half dozen..funny how I just remembered that after all these years...

My Aunt Gwen brings back so many wonderful memories, each summer I would get to go to the big city of Houston and stay a week or so with her, my uncle Walter, and my cousins Susan may she RIP, Carrie, Joe and Walt, may he RIP. I always delighted in this little vacation and loved being with their family, even when my aunt cooked "liver" at that time I thought it was disgusting but wouldn't you know it...I love it now and when I have it I smile and remember those days way back when. My aunt has always been a huge part of my life, she was there with my mom when I was born and has always been there for all that I have been through in my life she was there when my daughter was born as well! She always has a beautiful smile on her face and a kind word for me. She has gone through much heartache in years passed and even this year in losing her son, Walt. He was diagnosed with cancer and was taken quickly from us. My cousin Susan passed several years back and back then I could not imagine the devastation of losing a child...I cannot even begin to imagine losing two. She also lost my uncle soon after my own dad died, I was not able to attend the funeral but always knew that my aunt could feel my love was there with her. Today I just want to tell her that her kindness and love of our Father in heaven has never gone unnoticed, her sweet smile and genuine laugh has always been a light of inspiration for me...I love you Aunt Gwen and pray that some day soon I will get to sit down with you and just remember the good old days. 

My Aunt Nancy always had that sweet smile and beautiful laugh too, she does not have facebook so I have not been able to keep up with her as I should have over the years, I have been very blessed in keeping up with her son Donnie's wife Patty, I so love her spirit, and remember the first time I heard Patty sing I knew that God had blessed her in abundance. I pray that my Aunt Nancy knows that I love her and I plan on sending her a card this week just to tell her so!

My Aunt Sharon is my mom's third sister, she was a very special lady, with such a strong southern drawl...I loved it when she said my name...most people say it as it sounds like DON, not Dawn...when my Aunt Sharon said it, the AWN really came out and I always felt special in an odd sort of way. Aunt Sharon was the coolest, I remember one time she caught me smoking at her house and I was scared to death she would tell my mom and dad, she just looked lovingly at me and said she would rather I did not smoke but if I had to please do it further away from the house...LOL....I never thanked her for not tattling on me, I never thanked her for the wonderful way she made me feel and I never told her how much her beautiful smile melted my heart. She is gone now and the only solace I get in her being gone is knowing she has joined her husband my uncle Wayne, her daughter, my cousin Rhonda and Rhonda's sweet son in paradise and I can only imagine the love and laughter that is going on between them. My cousin Benny is all that is left in that family and I pray each day that he feels the love I have for him. 

My Aunt Gladna is next in line, I guess she was around the most in my growing up as she has always pretty much lived in the area and was always available to come and give me haircuts and lift me with her spunky attitude and her zest for life. I don't tell her near as often as I should how much I love her, how much I appreciate her for being there for my mom and for now being my mom's companion at church. I don't tell her how often I think of her and how much I appreciate her being a part of my life. Since facebook I have been able to tell her more than before and I hope she knows that every time I tell her I love her it is truth! Aunt Gladna you have been through so much, you have battled the odds and you have always come out on top. I have such wonderful memories of watching you and Uncle Pat dance and share such beautiful joy and laughter...You have made a mark on my life...one that will always be in my heart. I love you dearly

My youngest Aunt, Charlotte, has not been in my life for many, many years. I miss her and pray that her life is going well and that there is true joy and happiness in each step that she takes. 

I was sitting her today, enjoying the sun and remembering days gone by and did not want to waste another moment in honoring these ladies that I love so much.. if you noticed the one thing they all have in common is the smiles and the laughter....one of the biggest things I remember about my grandma....Iris McCarty...aka granny Carty..many of you in Brazoria county remember her I am sure, she was the "babysittenist" Grandma in the world....

If you know my aunts and see them, please give them a hug from me and tell them to keep on smiling because it sure is beautiful on them!

No comments: