man down....firefighter down....what chilling words to have to say and hear!!!!!!




Man down....firefighter down....these were the words that echoed out in Houston yesterday afternoon as a fire blazed out of control from the ones who have dedicated their lives to protect those who cannot save themselves...As the fire ravaged the building they were working on 4 firefighters lost their lives...I am so saddened by the reports that were coming across the news at the time of the fire, my heart ached knowing that a loved one had been taken doing what they have dedicated their lives to do! I hurt for the families as they sat, no doubt, watching the scene unravel, hearing of fatalities...waiting, wondering, if it would be their firefighter who had parished...I cried as the fire continued to destroy not only property but lives. I came across this prayer and thought it appropriate to share, I know that this job does not come with blinders, when a woman/man takes the oath to become a firefighter they do it full on knowing that each call out could be their last. I pray for the families and friends of all the injured and the deceased and ask God to cover them with his robes of love and understanding. I ask God to lift on high the ones he has taken home and allow them to know that they have done the job, they have given their all and in this he is much pleased. I don't think there are fires in heaven but if there ever is one, there are many who would once again give their all to ensure the safety and protection of those in danger. God bless these men and women and bless their families with peace in their hearts, calm in their bodies, and comfort in their hearts. 



The Firefighter's Prayer

When I am called to duty, God, whenever flames may rage;

Give me strength to save some life, whatever be its age.

Help me embrace a little child before it is too late 

Or save an older person from the horror of that fate.

Enable me to be alert and hear the weakest shout, 

And quickly and efficiently to put the fire out. 

I want to fill my calling and to give the best in me,

To guard my every neighbor and protect his property.

And if, according to my fate, I am to lose my life; 

Please bless with your protecting hand 
my children and my wife.

Author Unknown


No comments: